Monday, December 05, 2022

Smirkery

 So, Watson started for the Browns, and the world did not end.  People obviously watched the game (I did not) and they won, so... I guess I am bemused by the number of people who are appalled/displeased/saddened by the thing, and yet they still watch.  I would say the number is a lot less than those who have abandoned (like yours truly) the clevelandbaseballteam, and one would think that in some ways, the conduct has been more egregious.

Finished the Lubitsch book -- #41 for the year.  One of the points the author makes is that no one really makes films like he did anymore, which is true.  I don't necessarily like it, of course, but times and tastes do change.  Also... it certainly seemed that studios had him in spite of his films; as a rule, the didn't often make money (and much of his US career was in the throes of the Depression), and while he was certainly brilliant, it seemed -- like the Oscars of today -- he made films for Hollywood, rather than the market... which is not exactly a long-term strategy.  I added a bunch of them to Netflix/ordered from the library so I can add to my own sense... 

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/04/business/media/elon-musk-twitter-matt-taibbi.html?campaign_id=2&emc=edit_th_20221205&instance_id=79332&nl=todaysheadlines&regi_id=31060267&segment_id=115053&user_id=f914b0e213c5e2b4265494b6d07fe88f

This could be me, but if even Jack Dorsey thought the coverage of the issue was wrongly decided... maybe we should all calm down a little and admit that it was?  To be sure, now GOPers have a new hero, and this is not necessarily a bad thing...  as someone who uses the socials as little as possible, I am surprised that I even care about this.

I am amused also by the reaction to the Neon Deon career move... for one, he did what any other coach would do -- moved to a more prestigious program that paid more and had more resources.  Yes, it sucks for Jackson State, but... this happens every season; hell, it's happening at KSU now, or CSU hoops last year... them's the breaks.  I was also impressed by the blowup about telling the current team to enter the transfer protocol... harsh but they were 1-11 this past year, so any improvement will have to happen by regime change... Hell, in some ways such blunt honesty should be appreciated...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home