Monday, February 13, 2023

Progress of a sort

I've decided that as I am off Presidents' Day, I can take the tree down then.  In the meantime I decided to enjoy it tonight; it is nice, having it on a few more times before we say goodbye to Christmas.  I guess it reminds me of happier times past... but such is life.

I crossed another one off the NFR list tonight by watching "Pariah;" it's a modern film (2011) about a young African-American girl who is dealing with her crazy family and her sexual identity...  I wasn't exactly a fan of it at the beginning, but I think the film did portray the problems one has as one grows up; not that I identified with her, I certainly understood where she was coming from.  It was certainly better than "Hairspray" which does not exactly create a high standard.  812!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/one-puzzling-job-market-employment-unemployment-productivity-tech-layoffs-help-wanted-technology-automation-robots-ai-chatgpt-70d9e54

Interesting and largely true; I think the real issue is that technology, once it is introduced, tends to move more quickly than people realize, so there are concerns on both ends of the innovation cycle.  Of course, those who do adopt it -- and successfully -- access the lion's share of the rewards and profits, which is not exactly something to sneeze at.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-solutions/2023/02/13/gen-z-driving-less-uber/

I don't know; maybe in the urban cores this is a thing, but it would seem to me that in most places if you want to get around, you will want a car...  I guess I don't have a problem with people deciding not to have a car (God forbid they think of the union workers losing jobs due to this, those wonderful progressives) but I think it would be ridiculous that they should decide that everyone else doesn't want one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home