Saturday, September 23, 2023

Dereliction of Duty

 Can't believe it has been so long since I posted...ok, maybe?  Wednesday night I had plans with friends to hang but the options they suggested were...unappealing, if you will, so I ended up "Falling asleep on the couch" and staying in.  To be sure, I did crash early so I was not lying, but... I am not sure if this is a sign that I am getting older or what.  Of course, my time is valuable and short, and if it is not going to be fun.... there are other things to do.

Another reason to crash was that Thursday was Jug Day -- the Little Brown Jug -- and so it was a long and early (but beautiful) day with my aunt and the cousins.  We stayed the entire race (the card was 24 races) and I even ended up $9.40 ahead on wagering.  This is something of a victory, at least for me.  I hit two trifectas in a row -- nice -- but those were really the only winners I backed all day.  Alas.  We all discussed how they make it hard to win -- putting a favorite with several lesser-quality rides to keep the odds low, for instance -- and thus you have to bet a lot to win a lot.  Oi.  I had my deep-fried twinkie -- awesome yet disgusting -- and I sort of realized that there is no reason I shouldn't try any of the other interesting, fascinating, and delicious foods there.  OK, I may crap my guts out, but it is once a year.  And... usually, the bathrooms in the fair grandstands were pretty...well, shitty.  But not this year!  They were nice -- really nice -- with actual urinals and toilets, working sinks; I mean, I even used them twice this year, just to revel in them.  

Friday I was busy -- errands out the wazoo -- and some stuff to do Friday (and today) with the result that I did a bunch of things in part during the day as I had time -- for instance, in the AM between errands and my run to the OC to handle the Friday deliveries and pick up the paperwork from the Thursday ones.  Then I came home and did a few more things.  I also realized that the exterminator -- supposed to come with bait traps to see where the mice are coming from -- didn't do so, which is a problem, as I am still living with a kitchen that resembles a rodent kill zone.  (Though no further signs of them.)  Considering what I am paying, they WILL visit again.

We were short volunteers at the OC today so I was called in, and I was glad I did -- they needed some runners.  It was a count of 110 -- a bit low -- but seemed more, maybe because I was just tired, or maybe because... well, aside from canned goods, we were short on everything else, and people were like "that's all?"  I tried to tell them that our counts are up -- more of you keep coming -- and we get less, so... yeah.   On the one hand, I get that, but on the other... well, there are still plenty of jobs out there, too.  

Inside the Next Republican Revolution - POLITICO

This would be awesome, but as the article states...no GOPer ever cuts spending or government employees and such, so...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home