Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Equipoise

I would not say today was a day of debacles, but...let's just say it was mixed.  First I woke up with low blood sugar, so no gym (which was fine).  Then I took the truck in for an oil change -- it was time -- and I was approaching the end of the lifecycle of my spark plugs, so I decided to bite the bullet and get them replaced, which, to quote Woody Allen, read like a bill for an aircraft carrier.  Ideally, though, I will not have to do this again in the lifetime of the Behemoth.

Work, at least, went fairly well -- still plowing away at the projects -- and the exterminator arrived this afternoon.  He was a bit flummoxed, as there was evidence of mice, but... no obvious ways they can get it in -- no holes in the foundation or the walls (which, I guess, is good).  He appreciated my retinue of glue traps and added some more, and decided to come back tomorrow with the bait traps to see where exactly the things are coming from (if possible).  In the meantime... carry on as best as I can?  He didn't seem to think there were that many, and while he definitely had a Pineapple Express vibe, if you get my drift... he was knowledgeable and thorough (the exterior inspection also revealed no obvious holes) which was all I needed.

I listen to a lot of history podcasts during the day/night -- mainly a rotation of the Civil War, WW1, and WW2.  (This should surprise no one.)  I was listening to one today and they were of the opinion that Midway was not a turning point of WWII -- mainly because it was the attritional battles at Guadalcanal (in terms of ships and pilots) that were the real turning point.  I am not convinced, as I don't think the Guadalcanal operation happens if there are still four (or some) Japanese carriers riding the waves.  Indeed, it was that blow that convinced Nimitz to take the offensive -- even if on a shoestring -- as he felt he had parity (at minimum) and the immense might of US production in the background for 1943.  I guess I would say the two battles together are the turning point... but you really cannot have one without the other.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home