Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Travels and Travails

The next round of the GOP speaker drama begins, with now Jim Jordan's turn to drive the clown car; mind you, this is a clown car by choice; I think most in the GOP were fine (or at least fine enough) with Kevin McCarthy, but we can't have nice things, so... here we are.  I sort of want him to win the thing, given the hand-wringing and pearl-clutching of the media over the guy.  Considering, for instance, the Plain Dealer's stellar record of endorsements, I find it fascinating that they continually crap on the guy.  I can readily (if not easily) imagine a number of scenarios where he would actually do a credible job, if he wanted to... I suspect the temptation for bomb-tossing would be too much for him, though.'

I forgot to mention another aspect of my Sunday; I went to Panaderia las Villas, the Puerto Rican restaurant on the West Side.  It was something of an adventure -- I made a wrong turn, not many people there spoke English -- but it was really quite delicious; it rivalled Gually's as some of the best Latino food I have had.  The flan was 50% caramel, I suspect; really quite rich!  I would definitely go back, and it was certainly kind of the staff to explain to me what I was ordering and looking at.  Especially because EVERYTHING -- signage, menus -- was in Spanish, and, well... while I didn't wear my MAGA hat, my understanding was highly limited.  (One of my Puerto Rican friends wants to go with me the next time, mainly to see the floor show.  I am almost touched.)  More seriously, I should do another one, as I am overdue.  

Funny; today was the first time ever on my new commute that I thought "Gee, these people could be driving on the East Side," and it wasn't in that stretch of 90 where Cleveland and Lakewood are, where the Hopey and Changey types are out in force.  No, this was in Avon, which surprised me, but sure enough, the slow-driver-in-the-left-lane and the people-changing-three-lanes-in-feet types were all together for a perilous (if not bemusing) minute.  

One thing I do enjoy are the low Lorain County sales taxes... I made an Aldi run at lunch for the potluck Thursday (first one I will be joining, stakes are high!) and while the savings are not significant, it's not nothing, and it does add up... to say nothing of not subsidizing the moonbats who run this county.  If only we had a Republican state government to investigate these shenanigans!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home