Sunday, February 04, 2024

Wistfulness

The Christmas decorations are down at church; it was quite different this morning when I arrived.  I still have mine up.  Honestly... I have not had the tree on as much as last year, and that is... sad.  Not sure why... I have kept it watered, and it seems to be in good shape, so I will keep it up a bit more, but I haven't really just sat and looked at it and enjoyed it.  Maybe after the excitement and joy of last year, putting one up for the first time in decades... but that is no excuse.  Course, I say that every day, followed by "I can do it tomorrow."  I am not quite a Christmas person, but...  hell, I went to Bakery 57 today for lunch they were advertising paczki, which also boggles the mind -- Lent is early this year!

Put some work on the contract job -- need to do more, for a bunch of reasons, even if it was nice to take yesterday "off."  It is interesting; keeping up with the world of agtech, learning about AI and other things.  Only drawback is that it is time I could be reading; all those fat books on the pile...

Watched "20 Feet From Stardom" today, which is a documentary about backup singers.  It was mostly interesting; I do not have the musical gene, of course, but I was fascinated/saddened by their careers; these people (mainly black, mainly female) are talented musicians in their own right, but to get a record deal, or series of records and hits, is in many cases damn-near impossible, often for... reasons.  Maybe now, with streaming and other media forms, it is easier to make a career out of it and get hits, but... still, a good look about something I never really considered.  Also, now up to 828 films viewed on the National Film Registry, and I just ordered the next!

I bit the bullet and contacted a few more bathroom contractors; while one bid is still pending (another thing to do tomorrow; track that down) I am now of course in the doldrums (if it hasn't arrived by now!) so off we go into the breach.  Sigh.  I am hoping that some other good things happen tomorrow -- food pantry stuff I applied for (cash and resources), work projects approved, a solid night of sleep -- but considering how things have gone in this department one cannot blame me for being slightly skeptical.

I decided to do a gym double today -- lifted after Mass and then about 6:30 I went to do legs.  Really, I should do this more often; only about 15 people were there, no competition for machines, and it was the solid workout.  I realize that Sunday night is not quite the prime gym night but it just might be for me...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home