Friday, May 31, 2024

Switching

My plan to pull a gym double almost went to plan until I woke up at 4 AM with low blood sugar and charley horses in both legs.  Oi.  On the other hand, while walking around to get snacks (granola bar and an orange juice), the moving did seem to help the charley horses, and I was able to get back to bed a few moments later.  I decided to sleep in a little more -- probably wise -- and the blood sugar really didn't get that much higher.  Alas.  I did do back and shoulders this afternoon, and that was... good.   Also got some licks in on the stationary bike, as the current read -- Guelzo's Gettysburg:  The Last Invasion is 500 plus pages of small text and the usual erudition and detail one expects from Allen Guelzo.  Hell, I am even imagining him reading it in his sonorous voice... funny, though, in that he has taken some hits from the military historians (I would put Guelzo more in the political sphere) over some of Guelzo's takes on Union strategy (e.g., Reynolds on Day 1) and such.  Not there yet, but...I am looking forward to seeing it.

Scheduled the root canal for next week; I mean, I guess it is better to get it done sooner rather than later, and the sooner this gets done, the sooner we can get the cap on and end this mini-nightmare.  I will be ok, but as always, my bday will affected (in so far as I celebrate) by this tooth issue.  The preview for the bill... oi.  I have insurance, thank God, and a HSA, but... sigh.

A growing minority of religious conservatives reshape the US Catholic Church (yahoo.com)
Interesting take, though -- as I like to say -- you really can't complain if the people who show up to Mass regularly, participate in parish life, and (most importantly) put envelopes in the basket change the Church in their own image.  And you know what... they should!  I always tell my liberal Catholic friends that if they don't show up and make their voices heard... I mean, if only conservatives show up and say, sling pierogis at the Church festival, one will think that only the conservative types only show up for Mass. Which, I think, is not quite true...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home