Monday, June 03, 2024

Advance planning

Trump Conviction and Biden Tapes Put New Pressure on Mike Johnson - WSJ
Is it me, or has Mike Johnson always been under pressure?  I mean, such is the way of the world when you have a GOP majority of one, two, three, whatever it is, especially with such luminaries as MTG and Lauren Boebert are such key members.  On the other hand, the man has...survived?  I daresay, with a bit of luck and a decent Presidential campaign... he might retain his Speakership?  I think McCarthy would be an asset here, with his fundraising ability, but being something of a chameleon... at least Johnson has integrity and, if not the trust of, the ability to work with Democrats in some way -- again, something you need with a miniscule majority.  Alas.  Sigh.

“I Can’t Sugarcoat It Anymore”: Will Lewis Bluntly Defends Washington Post Shake-Up | Vanity Fair
Hahahaha!  I don't know; I can see and somewhat sympathize with the WaPo staffers, but... as the man said, their audience has halved, and if people aren't using their content... you have to do something different.  Democracy dies not only in darkness but in the light of day if no one is paying attention.  To be sure, writing content that will not be read or seen by a third (possibly more!) of the reading public... well, whose fault is that?

Somewhat more or less humorously... the previous pastor of Holy Name passed away yesterday and the funeral will be this weekend... while the food pantry is open.  Our operations manager called me to ask if I had a special plan to handle this crowd and our normal one... I told her to close, of course.  :)  More seriously, we have been in operation with funerals before, and while this is a large one -- I told her the Bishop could see us in operation!! -- there is little we can do... I mean, we can't close -- it was Fr. Tom who wanted the food pantry, ahem -- and people will just have to park in the back.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home