Thursday, August 08, 2024

Linx

Returned to the gym today; with the party prep, the new job, and my being tired -- I have gotten about an extra hour of sleep the last two nights, and I can tell, trust me -- I didn't go.  Arms today, no cardio -- blood sugar was a bit low -- and I was surprised that I was only four pounds overweight, given the snacking I have been doing... and more to come, given the chips and such still in the house.  Alas.  Hopefully I will get back into the gym groove and with some cardio (and better eating) I can burn the pounds off.  I could give away more stuff...

Driving to the gym I was surprised at the devastation.  There was a large tree down in front of St. Anthony, and I could see a bunch of large trees either down, uprooted (uprooted!), or suffering damage.  Many houses, it seemed, had piles of twigs and branches up, and I could not help but note that I saw five power trucks in that general vicinity.  I asked at Marc's and they too were without power for a few hours.  I am sure they are trying, but as my sister and I were discussing, there is probably a shortage of crews, and momma didn't raise her kids to be linemen (or linewomen).  And, of course, power lines are not buried, so one tree falls and...

Trump campaign calls Harris’ surge ‘suspended reality’ - POLITICO
One way to look at it, but... do they have a plan to combat it?  And will Trump stick to it?  Those are two vastly different things, of course.  There will be another bump after the convention... can they fight it?  I have my doubts.

How I Joined the Resistance (thelampmagazine.com)
I have read this three times, and each time I have found a new insight that moves me.  Impressive.  I somehow wonder if the people who bitch about him read this, though I suspect it is wayyyy over their fucking heads.

J. D. Vance Has a Point About Mountain Dew (msn.com)
As someone who rather likes Diet Dew, this was... awesome.

Republicans want to dismantle the Department of Education. What would that look like? (msn.com)
Interesting.  Again, for all we talk about reducing government, we never actually do it, so believing would be seeing, but... I would think much of what this department does could be replicated in other departments, or, better yet, pawned off to the states.  Heaven forbid we actually practice what we preach.

What Gives Poor Kids a Shot at Better Lives? Economists Find an Unexpected Answer - WSJ
Interesting.  I don't know; with the labor force participation so low, this means there are plenty of people without jobs, and it doesn't seem that there is any push to get these people working... and that IS a problem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home