Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Wakey

Nothing like an AM blog post.  This is because last night -- I felt meh and tired all day -- I decided I was going to bed early, and indeed I was in bed and all tucked in before 10.  Rah, right?  I figured at least 8 hours of sleep would get me... well, if not recovered, feeling better.  As always, my plans were cruelly interrupted.  I woke up four times in the night, needing to go the bathroom or whatever.  Oi.  I also have had these dull muscle pains, Lord knows why.  Finally, I woke up at 5:15 and after laying around for 20 minutes or so...well, here I am, up and at them.  I suspect I will try another early bedtime today.  Yes, I guess I got more sleep than usual today, but... sigh.

Pac-12 Trying to Bail on Mountain West Deal That Helped Its Two Surviving Members (si.com)
This, at least, amused me.  Not necessarily surprised, of course, and I think that the MWC will cave and make a deal, but... well, they shouldn't, and the claim that the Pac-12 made the deal in duress is...spurious, to say the least.  They should be hauled to court and made to defend that, but they probably will not.

Yesterday I watched (I didn't even go to the gym. that's how meh I felt!) "On the Firing Line With the Germans," a 1915 silent film shot by an American who -- unlike most of his peers -- went to the Eastern Front in WWI.  Interesting, of course.  We now know a lot of the scenes were faked (i.e., not actual battle scenes) but there were some real action shots, as well as just the fact that it was cool to see WWI live and in action.  I seem to recall that there was more freedom in WWI than in WWII for American journalists (at least early, though Mencken was there in 1916) and thus they had all sorts of interesting articles.  Shirer's WWII stuff is an exception, but he had been there a while and was regarded as an even keel.  Now that I have the VCR working I should do a film sweep, as there are a few on VHS that might be out there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home