Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Ironies

Good workout today, despite the fact that I have not exactly had plenty of restful sleep.  Arms, which to me is more important, even than legs, as those are the foundation... yes, I know, but maintaining (or trying to) one's physical strength is important.  Also got some bike time in and that means some time reading.  I am reading Rebel Yell, a biography of Stonewall Jackson.  It is interesting, though we have barely started the Civil War.  He was.... unorthodox, to say the least, and in some ways...less reprehensible than many other Confederates.  I made a comment to a friend of mine that while of course as a Civil War buff you have to read about these people, you don't have to like them.  I would say "sort of like Democrats," but these people were Democrats, so...

I was going through the restaurant list a couple of days ago, and a bunch of them have closed.  Not surprising, as it is a tough business, but... there is no reason why I should not be hitting some of these places.  OK, I am cheap and fat, and have the pretense of caring about my diabetes, but...you get my drift.  This weekend I should go to one, because, well, there is no reason not to.

Rashida Tlaib Rages Against Hezbollah Pager Memes, Gets Flooded with Hundreds More (msn.com)
This is too funny, and I only wish I could see the ones that are not family-friendly.

A Populist Democrat Fights to Survive the Trump-Fueled Populist Wave - WSJ
As I so often say, all of the populists I know have five houses and live in gated communities.  More seriously, I have been thinking about the situation in Springfield, how all of the Haitians are taking the jobs.  Good for them... but it is not that Americans cannot fill them, it is that they will not fill them.  Some of it is wages, to be sure, but a lot of it is that there is no incentive -- positive or negative -- for Americans to fill them.  One would think a senator who goes on and on about the dignity of work would do something to make sure that Americans are actually working...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home