Saturday, June 20, 2015

Links

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/06/19/an-australian-stand-up-comic-explains-what-u-s-gun-laws-look-like-to-the-rest-of-the-world/?tid=pm_business_pop_b

I thought this was hilarious, but...here in America, at least, we really don't slow down, if you will, for the 1% of people who can't keep up; we tend to leave them behind... I am not sure that that is bad, either; I mean, my Mom complains that she doesn't use a dot.com, but, well, too damn bad.  I broke down and got a smart phone...there are some things with it I could do without, but...  In general, though I think is what the American spirit is; you go out, you make your own mark, create your own path...

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2015/06/baltimore_police_are_virtually_on_strike_the_city_deserves_something_better.html

Maybe, just maybe, if we didn't have the union, we could get the police to do what we need them to do...and if not, we could fire them and bring in new ones.  Just a thought.

I made a comment on my facebook page about why we need to get rid of Section 8 housing...the one problem with the vouchers is that it gins up demand without doing anything to affect the supply.  We talk about affordable housing, but the main problem is that there isn't enough housing where it needs to be...no one wants to go back and put up Cabrini Green again, but on the flip side there is no way to inexpensively house so many people simply by putting up single-family units.  I think, whether we like it or not, we just need to buck up and build tenement-style apartments (there is no good way to say this) for as many people as possible...and get rid of the subsidies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home