Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Reflecting

Recalling to mind the dictum of you must be the change you wish to see, I ordered a bunch of books on the list from the library and ordered some films off the list, too -- I've slowed down on that.  World Series, other things, starting of "Justified," neglect...whatever it is, I need to switch.  Last one I saw was "The Primary," a documentary about the 1960 Democratic primary in Wisconsin between Kennedy and Humphrey...  sort of like the election, JFK won in the urban areas and carried the state, HHH the rural and MN border...of course, in 1960, no one saw such a campaign picture...I think "The Last Hurrah," starring Spencer Tracy, gave a look at it, in the transition away from the machine politics to the modern era...but that was fiction.  Anyways, we are at 477 on the list...

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/11/republican-party-future-2016-donald-trump-214453

Good stuff here...I think the depth of the relationship will come from what Trump and Congress do...I mean, repealing Obamacare, check.  Cutting back on government and relations, check.  Boosting defense spending, check...I don't think the infrastructure will kill him, provided the stuff is built and people are hired in the right spots.  Immigration might be a problem, as I don't think the moderates will go as far as he will, but the people who voted for him...  they are ephemeral, I think, but they came out for Trump, and if they keep coming for him, and the GOPers come home...well, I suspect the Donald, or whoever runs in 2020, will get a hell of a lot more votes...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home