Monday, February 25, 2019

Building a new regime

You know, I don't think I saw any of the films nominated for Best Picture... to be sure, I don't see a LOT of movies when they come out, so this is not exactly a surprise.  But, this year, nothing seemed to really strike me.  "Roma," maybe.  Not into superheroes, so "Black Panther," no... "Bohemian Rhapsody,"maybe.  The winner, of course, didn't exactly get good reviews, so I figured I could eschew that.  But, no!

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/why-are-these-professional-war-peddlers-still-around-tucker-carlson-max-boot-bill-kristol/

I got a kick out of this one...mind you, I don't necessarily think it is wrong; but these lines:

It is possible to isolate the precise moment that Trump permanently alienated the Republican establishment in Washington: February 13, 2016. There was a GOP primary debate that night in Greenville, South Carolina, so every Republican in Washington was watching. Seemingly out of nowhere, Trump articulated something that no party leader had ever said out loud. “We should never have been in Iraq,” Trump announced, his voice rising. “We have destabilized the Middle East.”
Many in the crowd booed, but Trump kept going: “They lied. They said there were weapons of mass destruction. There were none. And they knew there were none.
Um....maybe?  I think the nice thing about an outsider, of course, is that they can say these things.  And, the nice thing about Trump is that he can say anything.  But... all of this is true, but one could also say -- and I sort of believe -- that going into Iraq (and elsewhere) wasn't wrong...just that it is one thing to win the war, and another to win the peace.  Indeed, there is actually some logic to that -- we've done this before (WWI, Korea, Desert Storm).  Of course, you could also say that the Middle East -- US involvement or not -- will always ne destablized and chaotic (which I also think is true).  Also...well, I bet most of these voters supported the war; they just didn;t like the aftermath, such as causalties and a Democratic president. But to me, the crux here is... well, what would he have done instead?  That I am not sire he could answer (ok, he'd have 100 answers, but you get my drift).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home