Thursday, August 20, 2020

Smashing successes

 Funny...I was listening to the Tribe on the radio a couple of days ago, and Tom Hamilton said the Tribe looked distracted in the Cubs series, and I was like, by what, a changeup?  I love revisionist history as much as the next, but...  Then today he made the point that the Pirates are putting their SS of the future in CF and RF, and mainly playing Erik Gonzalez at SS (his natural position).  He thought it odd, and it is, but... I can see it.  For one, you can showcase Gonzalez to move. Two, you're getting your top prospects ML ABs in this odd season; especially if -- and I think it is -- that baseball at the minor league camp sites, is, if you will, not quite as rigorous...  not saying this is the best strategery, but there are certainly some upsides.

Finally got to the hardware store and bought some bug spray, and then got home and blasted the kitchen and laundry, and will do so again before I go to bed.  I have been smashing at them with reckless abandon, killing many (but singly), and in the process my hand is starting to be sore and bloody. I did notice fewer of the things were flying about, so a repeat or two of the spraying will have to ensue.

Someone at the gym noted that the summer days were growing shorter, and even I noticed that this was indeed the case... very sad, summer goes by so quickly, but then it always does...  I did a double at the gym a couple of days ago; it was good, but man I got worn out.  I had planned on doing it today, but life and sleeplessness intervened.  Alas.

I re-read Paul Fussell's Class a few days ago; I read it in college, liked it, and figured I would crack it again to see how it has held up.  Sort of, I guess?  We don't really use the term "prole" here, and I think we retain a broad middle class, but some of the work is still spot on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home