Friday, September 18, 2020

Politics

 So...normally an interruption of Jeopardy! is a major bitchfest for me, but... well, not so much today.  More seriously...I was amused that by 8:15, all of the cable networks had shifted to the upcoming political fight over her replacement.  I was not surprised by any mean, but it was...maybe a little soon?  Probably not in this day and age.

As for the replacement...I have no doubt there will be one; whether or not they will be confirmed... I don't know; I can see vulnerable GOPers hugging the choice, but I can also see the more independent ones deep-sixing it.  Mind you, President Awesome has little leverage over the Romneys and Murkowskis of the world, so if they want to make his life difficult... As for the Dems, I do recall the case of Merrick Garland, but as I said then, Republicans could have ran out the clock and had hearings on the guy, and then pronouncing him unacceptable.  They chose not to... Dems can complain, but the filibuster is one they have eroded, and while they might want to... I am not sure the Jones and such of the world want to, either...

Funny; the book I am reading discusses - just now, literally - both the Compromise of 1850 (and the role Stephen A.Douglas played in breaking up the omnibus bill so it could pass; and 2) how Douglas gutted much of his own creation a few years later with the concept of "popular sovreignity."  I guess I feel that way about Mitch McConnell now...

 Now, some political links..

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/the-forgotten-counties-will-make-their-voices-heard

I hope so; I just wonder how many more votes the Trump campaign can find out there... it's not that they don't matter, you just wonder if they shot the moon in 2o16...

https://www.newyorker.com/news/the-political-scene/how-trump-could-win?utm_source=pocket-newtab

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2020/09/17/trumps_path_to_victory_144234.html

More plausible... not saying it is impossible, but I have my doubts...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home