Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Dead Man Walking

Is it me, or is it probable that Liz Cheney received more votes from Democrats than from Republicans?  I mean, everyone knew she was dead man walking, but... looking at the county results and the vote totals... this was as complete a repudiation of a candidate as anything.  This leads me to my next point, namely, that any notion that Liz Cheney can lead any sort of GOP anti-Trump party is the wettest of dreams of Democrats and people who are on the fringes of the GOP.  Let's face it, there are plenty of people already who are already leading the anti-Trump wing of the party; they're called Republicans.  Like, Ron DeSantis.  Mike Pence.  Hell, let's look down this roster to people like Tom Cotton, Tim Scott, Kristi Noem, etc.  All of these candidates would attract far more attention in a Trump-free primary than Liz Cheney.  Now, I am not saying that this isn't the unfair -- she is no liberal -- but she has certainly crossed the line with GOP voters, and... there you go.

Also, I really think ranked choice voting is dumb.  I can see the appeal in some cases, but... the point of voting is to make a choice about a candidate/party/policy issues; the point is you make a choice.  Here, we are making choices, and while yes, it does tend to put moderates in an advantageous position, I am not sure that in all times people want that.  It also smacks of the smoke-filled room and horse-trading that, to me, is a part of our political system. but not a good one.

Quite right!

I went downtown yesterday to SVDP HQ -- I had to exchange some paperwork, and I ended up staying and talking with the staff for a good deal of time.  One, I don't think they realized for how long I have been doing food pantry stuff (17 years).  Two, of course, I have been around a while, and thus I do have some institutional memory -- why stuff happened, who did what, that sort of thing.  Three... well, we have a lot of work to do to help the poor in our communities, and we even put some good ideas together as to how to achieve this... we just need people and time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home